Change " MyComputer " to the computers name and wh

Discussion, tips and tricks for the different Windows flavors

Change " MyComputer " to the computers name and wh

Postby goat » Wed May 03, 2006 2:37 pm

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Please NOTE the last section for machines with IE6 or later on it, earlier method no longer works.

Its cute. Maybe. With this hack you change "My Computer" to whatever you want. I tried the "%username% on %computername%" option but found that the label on the desktop was TOO long. It looked ugly. Try it. You may like it. If you want to change the label to a simple string, in my example to waynesworld, you can cut and paste the following script into mycomputer.reg and run it.
REGEDIT4
BLANK LINE GOES HERE
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
""="waynesworld"
BLANK LINE GOES HERE

The existing value type for this object is of type REG_SZ. If you want to use expanding strings, like "%username%, you will need to use regedt32 and hack it manually. If you use a substitution string like ""="%username% on %computername%" in the above regedit script, it will not work. The default value has to be changed to type REG_EXPAND_SZ for that to work. If you don't have any idea what I am talking about, use the cut/paste .reg script and change it to something like "putz". See .REG files for background information on .REG files.

If you have Internet Explorer 6 on NT, Windows 2000, or XP (comes with IE6), rather than the above, you need to create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%". That is if you want the symbols replaced.
goat

Return to Windows